As you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Pittsburg, KS, you should soon discover that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this particular industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 annually making it among the best paying medical occupations that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Pittsburg, KS
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at the moment nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and choose a school, make sure that you analyze all of your options to make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy school that suits all your requirements.
Details You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be assured that you will be taught the full variety of techniques necessary to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of ailments and disorders so it is important that your schooling is very diverse and not too dedicated to one particular area of specialization.
Another important feature you should consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is your hands-on training, it is where you are going to interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools designate significantly more time on your actual laboratory experience in comparison with others. In instances where your school is not spending large amounts of time with clinical instructing, make sure that you ask why.
Something else to consider is the class size. The size of your class will vary greatly from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some people online training can ease a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family tend to be driven aside while students continue their schooling and online classes can offer a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final detail that you should have a look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Make sure you find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their comments were, and exactly how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Pittsburg, KS
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year being predominantly classroom teaching and with the second year spent working on hands on instruction in a hospital or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those wanting to get started on their careers need to become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own policies and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Kansas, licensing is administrated by the Kansas State Board of Healing Arts. Although every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among most of them and include the following.
An individual trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the criminal offense may be examined and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package which will include many forms to fill out. Never purchase these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trustworthy web sites. It is advised to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will require you to turn in a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients who may have needs that could be completely different the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient facility with young children who have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab center working with a middle age woman with emotional struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and learning and applying the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be somewhat physically fit, since you will have several instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Pittsburg, KS that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Pittsburg, KS reviewed by Jose WATSON on June 7.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.