When you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Pleasant Prairie, WI, you will quickly learn that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this particular industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 per year making it among the highest paying healthcare vocations that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Pleasant Prairie, WI
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy School. There are presently nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and decide on a training program, you might want to examine all of the options and make sure you find an Occupational Therapy school that satisfies all your needs.
Details You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be reassured you will be taught the full range of skills needed to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of health concerns and disorders therefore it is essential that your schooling is very diverse rather then too concentrated on a particular discipline.
Another really important factor you should look at is the clinical learning experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is where you actually interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools allocate considerably more time on your actual practical experience compared to others. In instances where your training program is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure to find out why.
Something else to consider is the class sizes. The size of your class can vary greatly from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some people online training courses can relieve a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family members are often times pushed aside as students continue their education and online classes can provide a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last thing that you have to have a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are considering. Be sure to find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their reviews were, and just how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Pleasant Prairie, WI
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year consisting of predominantly class-room teaching and with the second year spent carrying out hands on instruction in a medical center or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that most Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to get started on their careers will need to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own guidelines and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Wisconsin, licensing is controlled by the Bureau of Health Professions Department of Regulation and Licensing. Even though every State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and can include the following.
A person applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider processing an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the criminal offense may be evaluated and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that is going to include numerous forms to fill out. Do not spend money on these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many legitimate websites. It is recommended to take a very extensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to submit a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a range of patients which have needs that will be very different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient facility with young children that happen to have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab center working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, as there will be plenty of instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Pleasant Prairie, WI that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Pleasant Prairie, WI reviewed by Olivia SULLIVAN on June 5.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.