As you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Plover, WI, you should quickly discover that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this particular field to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is greater than $53,000 yearly making it one of the best paying healthcare professions that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Plover, WI
The first step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are at this time nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and select a training program, it is very important to consider all of the options to make certain you find an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your requirements.
Things You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be confident you will be taught the full variety of techniques needed to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of health concerns and disorders therefore it is important that your course work is very wide-ranging rather then too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another very important feature to take under consideration is the clinical training experience. This is your practical training, it is when you are able to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools apply substantially more time on your actual practical experience in comparison to other training programs. In cases where your training program is not investing large amounts of time with clinical teaching, make sure to find out why.
Something else to consider is the class size. The size of may vary considerably from school to school. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time that you receive with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. However, for many people online training can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family are often driven aside as students carry on their training and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final thing you ought to look into before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are looking at. Make sure you find out how many trainees finish the program, what their reviews were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Plover, WI
- Occupational Therapy Aide
- Physical Therapy Aide
- Substance Abuse
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
As a community of initiative, University of the Southwest challenges graduates to become enterprising members of our society contributing to the common good by advocating and participating in the productive commerce of free enterprise, the constitutional privilege of self-government, and the practical contributions of community service.
- MSE Mental Health
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year consisting of primarily classroom teaching and with the second year spent working on hands on learning in a hospital or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to start their careers must become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own guidelines and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Wisconsin, licensing is administrated by the Bureau of Health Professions Department of Regulation and Licensing. Even though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of them and include the following.
Any person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the transgression may be examined and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that will include quite a few forms to submit. You should not buy these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many reputable websites. It is important to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will require you to submit a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a range of patients who have needs which may be different in comparison to the previous patient. You might be employed in an outpatient clinic with toddlers that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and learning and applying the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be relatively physically fit, since there will be many instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Plover, WI that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Plover, WI reviewed by Mackenzie WILLIS on June 1.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an OTA.