After you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Poquoson, VA, you should soon learn that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this field to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 yearly which makes it among the best paying medical-related occupations that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Poquoson, VA
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to choose a training program, it is important to evaluate all of the options and make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy school that matches all your preferences.
Details You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be confident you will learn about the full variety of competencies necessary to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of health problems and disorders therefore it is imperative that your training is very extensive instead of too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another significant component to take under consideration is the clinical learning experience. This is the hands-on training, it is where you will interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools dedicate substantially more time on your actual clinical experience when compared to other training programs. In instances where your training program is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical training, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to look into is the class sizes. The size of your class will vary greatly from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. However, for many of us online training courses can ease many of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and household are often times driven aside while students undertake their schooling and online classes can provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final thing you want to consider before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are looking at. Be sure to find out how many people graduate from the program, what their reviews were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Poquoson, VA
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year consisting of primarily classroom teaching and with the second year spent carrying out hands on training in a medical facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure only want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to start their careers will have to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Virginia, licensing is handled by the Virginia Advisory Board on Occupational Therapy. Even though every State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among many of them and include the following.
An individual seeking an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package which will include a number of forms to fill out. Never purchase these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many trustworthy sites. It is important to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to turn in a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients that have needs that will be totally different in comparison to the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient clinic with children that have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and learning and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be somewhat physically fit, because there will be many instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Poquoson, VA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Poquoson, VA reviewed by Aaron STEWART on June 2.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an OTA.