As you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Port Lavaca, TX, you will probably quickly realize that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is over $53,000 yearly making it right there with the highest paying medical-related occupations that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Port Lavaca, TX
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at the moment almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and select a training program, you might want to consider all of your options and make certain you find an Occupational Therapy training program that meets all your requirements.
Things You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be assured you will be taught the full variety of skills required to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of ailments and disorders so it is very important that your course work is very diverse rather then too focused on one particular area of specialization.
Another significant feature you should think about is the clinical teaching experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is where you actually interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools designate considerably more time on your actual laboratory experience in comparison to other training programs. In cases where your training program is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you ask why.
Another thing to consider is the class size. The size of may vary considerably from school to school. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time you will get with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Yet, for some people online classes can relieve a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family members are often times driven aside while students continue their schooling and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final factor you should have a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are looking at. Make sure to find out how many students complete the program, what their opinions were, and just how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Port Lavaca, TX
- Work in the fascinating and rewarding field of psychology - earn your bachelor's or master's degree online with Grand Canyon University.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences promotes research, creativity, ethical formation and inquiry through critical, analytical and interdisciplinary study.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's in psychology degrees combine academic theory with practical application.
- Gain a comprehensive study of human behavior within a Christian values-oriented environment designed to emphasize compassion and ethics.
- Join a values-based community surrounded by compassion, ethics and research on human behavior.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, Marital and Family Therapy Specialization
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
- Psy.D. Applied Clinical Psychology
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is about 24 months, with the first year consisting of mostly class-room teaching and with the second year spent working on hands on instruction in a hospital facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers will need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own guidelines and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is handled by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Even though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among many of them and include the following.
Any individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and passed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider processing an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the offense may be evaluated and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that is going to contain many forms to complete. Never spend money on these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many trustworthy websites. It is recommended to take a very in depth look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will require you to turn in a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a range of patients who may have needs that could be completely different the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient clinic with toddlers that have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab center working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and learning and employing the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be reasonably physically fit, as you will have numerous instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Port Lavaca, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Port Lavaca, TX reviewed by Grayson POWELL on June 3.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an OTA.