Once you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Port Washington, WI, you will probably quickly learn that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this particular industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 annually making it among the best paying medical-related careers that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Port Washington, WI
The first step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at this time almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to pick a school, you might want to consider all of your options and make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that meets all your needs.
Things You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be certain you will be taught the full range of techniques necessary to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of conditions and disorders so it is crucial that your training is very diversified and not too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another very important variable to take under consideration is the clinical teaching experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is when you are able to interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools apply substantially more time on your actual laboratory experience compared to others. In instances where your training program is not investing a large amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you find out why.
Something else to also consider is the class sizes. The size of can vary considerably from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Yet, for many of us online classes can alleviate some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family are often times pushed aside as students carry on their schooling and online classes can provide a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last item you might want to look into before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are looking at. Make sure you find out how many people complete the program, what their reviews were, and how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Port Washington, WI
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Emphases: General Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced
- Study human behavior and thought
- Flexibility for full-time students or working professionals
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is about 24 months, with the first year being mostly classroom instruction and with the second year spent working on hands on lessons in a hospital facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will want to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure only want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started on their careers have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own rules and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Wisconsin, licensing is controlled by the Bureau of Health Professions Department of Regulation and Licensing. Though every State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among many of them and can include the following.
A person seeking an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and passed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider processing an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the transgression may be assessed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that will contain several forms to complete. You should not purchase these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many trusted sites. It is important to take a very in depth look through the forms before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will want you to submit a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients which have needs which may be completely different than from the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient clinic with small children who may have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and implementing and employing the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be relatively physically fit, since there will be plenty of instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Port Washington, WI that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Port Washington, WI reviewed by Gianna WATKINS on June 6.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.