When you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Portland, TX, you can expect to quickly learn that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this field to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 per year making it one of the highest paying health care jobs that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Portland, TX
The first step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and choose a school, make sure you think about all of your alternatives and make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that matches all your requirements.
Items You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be assured that you are going to be taught the full variety of skills required to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of ailments and disorders therefore it is imperative that your course work is very diversified and not too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another very important variable you must consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is your practical training, and this is where you will interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools dedicate significantly more time on your actual practical training when compared to other schools. In situations where your school is not investing large amounts of time with clinical training, make sure that you ask why.
Something else to also consider is the class sizes. The size of the classes may vary considerably from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. However, for many people online training courses can relieve a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and household are often times driven aside as students carry on their schooling and online classes provide some flexibility to a busy life.
The last issue that you have to evaluate before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are considering. Make sure that you find out how many trainees complete the program, what their reviews were, and how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Portland, TX
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is about 2 years, with the first year consisting of mainly classroom training and with the second year spent going through hands on instruction in a hospital or private care office. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that most Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those ready to get started on their careers will have to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is controlled by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Although each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among most of them and can include the following.
Any individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider approving an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the offense may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that will include many forms to complete. Do not buy these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trusted internet sites. It is important to take a very comprehensive look through the forms before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will require you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients that have needs that will be very different the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient facility with infants that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and learning and using the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, because you will have several instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Portland, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Portland, TX reviewed by Brooklyn HUNTER on June 7.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.