When you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Powder Springs, GA, you will quickly learn that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs within this field to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is over $53,000 per year making it among the highest paying healthcare vocations that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Powder Springs, GA
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are presently nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and decide on a school, it is important to evaluate all of your options and make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that fulfills all your needs.
Things You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be confident that you are going to learn about the full variety of techniques necessary to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of issues and disorders so it is imperative that your course work is very diverse rather then too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another important factor you should think about is the clinical education experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is where you are going to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools designate considerably more time on your actual laboratory experience when compared to the other training programs. In cases where your training program is not spending large amounts of time with clinical teaching, make sure to find out why.
Something else to look into is the class sizes. The size of may vary significantly from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for some online training courses can relieve a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and household tend to be driven aside while students undertake their training and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The final issue you need to take a look at prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the training programs you are considering. Make sure you find out how many people finish the program, what their comments were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Powder Springs, GA
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Experience world-class education online: Purdue Global offers 180 programs at associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral levels
- Courses taught by highly respected faculty members who are experts in their fields
- Competency-based ExcelTrack™ Programs may allow you to earn your degree faster and for less money
- Full range of student services: individual educational advising, hands-on learning through interactive online classroom, no-cost tutoring in math, science and writing
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is approximately two years, with the first year consisting of primarily classroom teaching and with the second year spent doing hands on lessons in a hospital or private care office. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terminology, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simply require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to get started on their careers have to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own rules and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Georgia, licensing is handled by the Georgia State Board of Occupational Therapy. While every State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among many of them and include the following.
A person applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the transgression may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that is going to contain several forms to submit. You should not buy these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trustworthy sites. It is recommended to take a very comprehensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will require you to complete a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients who may have needs that will be very different the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient clinic with toddlers who have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and learning and applying the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be reasonably physically fit, since you will have several instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Powder Springs, GA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Powder Springs, GA reviewed by Kylie DUNN on June 4.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an OTA.