When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Punta Gorda, FL, you can expect to soon realize that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs within this field to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is over $53,000 yearly which makes it amongst the highest paying healthcare occupations that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Punta Gorda, FL
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to select a training program, it is important to evaluate all of your options and make certain you find an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your preferences.
Items You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be confident that you will learn about the full array of skills needed to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of issues and disorders so it is crucial that your course work is very extensive rather then too focused on a particular area of specialization.
Another very important feature you should think about is the clinical education experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is when you will interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools allocate considerably more time on your actual practical training compared to other schools. In situations where your training program is not investing a large amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you find out why.
Something else to consider is the class size. The size of the classes will vary significantly from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with the instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. However, for some people online courses can relieve several of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family members are frequently pushed aside while students pursue their education and learning and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final item that you have to have a look at prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are evaluating. Make sure to find out how many people graduate from the program, what their reviews were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Punta Gorda, FL
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Associate of Science in Physical Therapist Assistant
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about 24 months, with the first year consisting of mostly classroom teaching and with the second year spent working on hands on lessons in a healthcare facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will want to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers will have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is administered by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. While every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among most of them and can include the following.
A person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the offense may be examined and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that will contain several forms to fill out. Do not spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many legitimate web sites. It is important to take a very detailed look through the forms before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to include a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients who have needs which can be very different the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient clinic with children that happen to have food or texture aversions or a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and learning and using the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be somewhat physically fit, since you will have plenty of instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Punta Gorda, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Punta Gorda, FL reviewed by Sydney HART on June 4.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.