When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Rancho Mirage, CA, you will probably soon discover that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this particular industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 yearly which makes it among the best paying medical-related vocations that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Rancho Mirage, CA
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy School. There are presently just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and pick a training program, make sure you examine all of your alternatives and make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that meets all your needs.
Items You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be assured that you are going to learn about the full variety of techniques required to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of ailments and disorders therefore it is really important that your schooling is very wide-ranging instead of too focused on one particular area of specialization.
Another very important factor to take under consideration is the clinical learning experience. This is your practical training, it is where you will interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools designate substantially more time on your actual practical experience compared to other training programs. In situations where your training program is not investing large amounts of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you ask why.
Another thing to look into is the class sizes. The size of your class will vary greatly from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time you will get with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some online training courses can relieve several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and loved ones are often driven aside while students undertake their training and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The final thing you should take a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Make certain you find out how many students graduate from the program, what their assessments were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Rancho Mirage, CA
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood College focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Therapy Health Technician
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, Marital and Family Therapy Specialization
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year being predominantly classroom training and with the second year spent carrying out hands on lessons in a healthcare facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those ready to start their careers must become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own guidelines and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is controlled by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of them and include the following.
Someone trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and passed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the criminal offense may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit which will contain several forms to submit. You should not purchase these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many reputable internet sites. It is important to take a very detailed look through the forms before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to turn in a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients who may have needs that could be different in comparison to the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient facility with toddlers who have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab center working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and implementing and applying the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be relatively physically fit, as you will encounter plenty of instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Rancho Mirage, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Rancho Mirage, CA reviewed by Brayden NELSON on June 3.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an OTA.