After you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Raymore, MO, you will probably soon find that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this field to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is over $53,000 yearly making it right there with the best paying health care professions that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Raymore, MO
The first step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to choose a school, you might want to think about all of your alternatives and make sure you find an Occupational Therapy training program that suits all your needs.
Items You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be certain that you will learn about the full range of skills required to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of health concerns and disorders so it is essential that your course work is very diverse rather then too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another important factor you must consider is the clinical education experience. This is your hands-on training, it is when you will interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools allocate substantially more time on your actual practical experience as compared to other schools. In cases where your training program is not spending a large amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to consider is the class size. The size of your class may vary considerably from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some online courses can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and loved ones are sometimes driven aside while students undertake their education and learning and online classes may offer some flexibility to a busy life.
The last detail that you should have a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Be sure to find out how many people complete the program, what their observations were, and just how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Raymore, MO
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is approximately two years, with the first year consisting of mainly class-room instruction and with the second year spent doing hands on lessons in a medical facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will be required to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those ready to get started on their careers must become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own policies and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Missouri, licensing is administered by the Missouri State Board of Occupational Therapy. Though every State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of them and can include the following.
Any individual seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider processing an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the criminal offense may be assessed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that will contain a number of forms to submit. Never buy these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trusted sites. It is recommended to take a very comprehensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will require you to include a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients who have needs that may be different the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient clinic with kids that happen to have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, some of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and learning and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be relatively physically fit, as you will have plenty of instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Raymore, MO that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Raymore, MO reviewed by Kaylee MASON on June 6.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.