After you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Raymore, MO, you will probably soon find that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this field to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is over $53,000 yearly making it right there with the best paying health care professions that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Raymore, MO
The first step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to choose a school, you might want to think about all of your alternatives and make sure you find an Occupational Therapy training program that suits all your needs.
Items You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be certain that you will learn about the full range of skills required to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of health concerns and disorders so it is essential that your course work is very diverse rather then too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another important factor you must consider is the clinical education experience. This is your hands-on training, it is when you will interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools allocate substantially more time on your actual practical experience as compared to other schools. In cases where your training program is not spending a large amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to consider is the class size. The size of your class may vary considerably from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some online courses can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and loved ones are sometimes driven aside while students undertake their education and learning and online classes may offer some flexibility to a busy life.
The last detail that you should have a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Be sure to find out how many people complete the program, what their observations were, and just how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Raymore, MO
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is approximately two years, with the first year consisting of mainly class-room instruction and with the second year spent doing hands on lessons in a medical facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will be required to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those ready to get started on their careers must become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own policies and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Missouri, licensing is administered by the Missouri State Board of Occupational Therapy. Though every State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of them and can include the following.
Any individual seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider processing an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the criminal offense may be assessed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that will contain a number of forms to submit. Never buy these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trusted sites. It is recommended to take a very comprehensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will require you to include a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients who have needs that may be different the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient clinic with kids that happen to have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, some of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and learning and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be relatively physically fit, as you will have plenty of instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Raymore, MO that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Raymore, MO reviewed by Kaylee MASON on June 6.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.