As you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Red Bank, TN, you should quickly learn that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this field to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is greater than $53,000 annually making it among the best paying health care careers that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Red Bank, TN
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at the moment nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and choose a school, it is very important to examine all of the options to make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy school that fulfills all your needs.
Things You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be assured that you are going to learn about the full array of skills required to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of issues and disorders therefore it is crucial that your schooling is very extensive rather then too concentrated on one particular discipline.
Another important component you should think about is the clinical training experience. This is the practical training, it is where you are able to interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools allocate significantly more time on your actual clinical experience when compared to other training programs. In cases where your school is not investing a large amount of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you find out why.
Something else to also consider is the class sizes. The size of the classes may vary significantly from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Nevertheless, for many people online classes can relieve a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members are sometimes pushed aside while students pursue their education and learning and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last factor you should take a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are looking at. Be sure to find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their comments were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Red Bank, TN
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Occupational Therapy Assistant - Associate of Applied Science
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Physical Therapist Assistant - Associate
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year being mostly classroom instruction and with the second year spent working on hands on instruction in a medical center or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those prepared to get started on their careers need to become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own policies and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Tennessee, licensing is handled by the Tennessee Board of Occupational Therapy & Physical Therapy Examiners. Even though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and include the following.
A person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and completed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider processing an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the crime may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that will include a number of forms to complete. You should not buy these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trusted sites. It is important to take a very in depth look through the forms before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will want you to submit a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients which have needs which may be completely different than from the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient clinic with toddlers who may have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be relatively physically fit, as you will have plenty of instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Red Bank, TN that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Red Bank, TN reviewed by Robert RIVERA on June 17.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.