When you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Red Bluff, CA, you will probably soon learn that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this particular industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is over $53,000 yearly making it among the highest paying medical-related professions that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Red Bluff, CA
The first step toward a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy School. There are currently approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and pick a school, make sure that you evaluate all of the options and make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school that fits all your needs.
Things You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be certain that you are going to learn about the full array of techniques needed to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of health problems and disorders therefore it is very important that your course work is very diversified and not too focused on a particular area of specialization.
Another important feature you must consider is the clinical training experience. This is your practical training, and this is where you are able to interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools commit considerably more time on your actual clinical experience as compared to other schools. In cases where your school is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you ask why.
Another thing to look into is the class size. The size of may vary greatly from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for many people online courses can alleviate many of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family can be driven aside as students pursue their education and learning and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The last thing you ought to take a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the schools you are evaluating. Be sure you find out how many people finish the program, what their comments were, and just how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Red Bluff, CA
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately two years, with the first year consisting of predominantly classroom instruction and with the second year spent carrying out hands on learning in a hospital or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers will have to become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own policies and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is handled by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Someone trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and completed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be reviewed and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that will include quite a few forms to complete. Do not purchase these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many reputable web sites. It is recommended to take a very extensive look through the forms before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will want you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients which have needs which can be completely different the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient facility with kids who have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab center working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and implementing and using the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, since there will be several instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Red Bluff, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Red Bluff, CA reviewed by Gavin CARTER on June 15.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.