Once you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Richmond, VA, you are going to quickly learn that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this particular industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is over $53,000 yearly making it amongst the highest paying healthcare occupations that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Richmond, VA
The first step towards a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy School. There are at the moment just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and choose a training program, make sure you think about all of the options to make certain you find an Occupational Therapy school that satisfies all your preferences.
Things You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be confident that you are going to be taught the full array of competencies required to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of conditions and disorders making it important that your schooling is very extensive and not too dedicated to one particular area of specialization.
Another significant component you should look at is the clinical teaching experience. This is the hands-on training, it is where you actually interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools allocate considerably more time on your actual laboratory training when compared to the other training programs. In cases where your training program is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to also consider is the class size. The size of will vary considerably from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Yet, for many people online courses can ease a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and loved ones will often be driven aside as students carry on their schooling and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The final item that you have to examine before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are considering. Make sure you find out how many people graduate from the program, what their evaluations were, and just how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Richmond, VA
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is about 2 years, with the first year being mainly class-room training and with the second year spent doing hands on lessons in a medical center or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simply call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those prepared to get started on their careers will have to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In VA, licensing is administrated by the Virginia Advisory Board on Occupational Therapy. Even though each State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Any person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider approving an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the transgression may be evaluated and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that will contain quite a few forms to fill out. Never buy these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trustworthy web sites. It is advised to take a very in depth look through the forms before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will require you to submit a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients who have needs that could be completely different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient facility with toddlers who may have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab center working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and employing the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be relatively physically fit, as you will have many instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Richmond, VA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Richmond, VA reviewed by William BROWN on June 12.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an OTA.