Once you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Richmond, VA, you are going to quickly learn that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this particular industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is over $53,000 yearly making it amongst the highest paying healthcare occupations that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Richmond, VA
The first step towards a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy School. There are at the moment just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and choose a training program, make sure you think about all of the options to make certain you find an Occupational Therapy school that satisfies all your preferences.
Things You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be confident that you are going to be taught the full array of competencies required to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of conditions and disorders making it important that your schooling is very extensive and not too dedicated to one particular area of specialization.
Another significant component you should look at is the clinical teaching experience. This is the hands-on training, it is where you actually interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools allocate considerably more time on your actual laboratory training when compared to the other training programs. In cases where your training program is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to also consider is the class size. The size of will vary considerably from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Yet, for many people online courses can ease a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and loved ones will often be driven aside as students carry on their schooling and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The final item that you have to examine before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are considering. Make sure you find out how many people graduate from the program, what their evaluations were, and just how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Richmond, VA
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is about 2 years, with the first year being mainly class-room training and with the second year spent doing hands on lessons in a medical center or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simply call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those prepared to get started on their careers will have to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In VA, licensing is administrated by the Virginia Advisory Board on Occupational Therapy. Even though each State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Any person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider approving an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the transgression may be evaluated and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that will contain quite a few forms to fill out. Never buy these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trustworthy web sites. It is advised to take a very in depth look through the forms before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will require you to submit a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients who have needs that could be completely different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient facility with toddlers who may have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab center working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and employing the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be relatively physically fit, as you will have many instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Richmond, VA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Richmond, VA reviewed by William BROWN on June 12.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an OTA.