After you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Rio Grande City, TX, you can expect to quickly find that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this field to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is greater than $53,000 annually which makes it one of the highest paying medical jobs that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Rio Grande City, TX
The first step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to pick a school, make sure that you evaluate all of your alternatives and make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that suits all your needs.
Things You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be certain you will learn about the full array of skills needed to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of issues and disorders therefore it is crucial that your training is very extensive instead of too dedicated to one particular area of specialization.
Another important component to take under consideration is the clinical training experience. This is your hands-on training, it is when you are going to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit considerably more time on your actual laboratory training when compared to other schools. In cases where your training program is not investing a large amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you find out why.
Another thing to also consider is the class sizes. The size of the classes can vary significantly from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Yet, for some people online courses can ease many of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and loved ones are frequently pushed aside while students continue their schooling and online classes can provide a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The final detail you might like to examine before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are evaluating. Be sure to find out how many trainees finish the program, what their evaluations were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Rio Grande City, TX
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about 24 months, with the first year being mostly classroom training and with the second year spent working on hands on training in a medical facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that most Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to get started on their careers must become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own policies and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is administrated by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Although each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among most of them and can include the following.
A person applying for an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the criminal offense may be examined and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that will include a number of forms to fill out. Do not purchase these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many trustworthy web sites. It is advised to take a very thorough look through the forms before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will require you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients who have needs that may be very different the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient facility with young children that have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and implementing and using the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be somewhat physically fit, because there will be numerous instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Rio Grande City, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Rio Grande City, TX reviewed by Jace LONG on June 5.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.