When you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Rockford, IL, you can expect to soon learn that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this field to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 annually which makes it right there with the highest paying medical-related vocations that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Rockford, IL
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at this time almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to select a school, you might want to evaluate all of your alternatives and make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy training program thatfits all your requirements.
Items You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be assured you will learn about the full variety of skills needed to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of health conditions and disorders making it important that yourcourse work is very diversified rather then too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another important component you should consider is the clinical learning experience. This is your practical training, it is where you are able to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schoolscommit substantially more time on your actual clinical trainingas compared to other schools. In situations where your training program is not spending large amounts of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you ask why.
Something else to also consider is the class size. The size of your class will varysignificantly from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some people online classes can ease many of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and loved ones tend to be pushed aside as students carry on their training and online classes may offer some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last thing you need to look into before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are considering. Make sure that you find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their comments were , and exactly how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Rockford, IL
- Occupational Therapy Assistant - Associate of Applied Science
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year consisting ofpredominantly class-room training and with the second year spent working onhands on lessons in a medical facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics , gerontology,clinical terminology , and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simplycall for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that most Occupational Therapiststarted their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers have tobecome certified as an OTA. Each State has its own guidelines and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Illinois, licensing is administrated by the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation. Even though every State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among the majority of themand include the following.
An individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider approving an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time period and nature of the offense may be assessedand be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that will includeseveral forms to fill out. You should not buy these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many legitimate websites . It is recommended to take a very detailed look through theforms before trying to complete them. There will be official transcriptsnecessary ; notarized signatures and several States will want you to include a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients who may have needswhich are often completely different in comparison to the previous patient . You may be working for an outpatient clinic with small children who have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills , some of the basics such as following direction , keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and learning and applying the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be somewhat physically fit, because there will benumerous instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Rockford, IL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Rockford, IL reviewed by Lauren RAY on June 9.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.