When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Rockwall, TX, you can expect to quickly discover that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this particular industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is greater than $53,000 per year making it amongst the best paying healthcare professions that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Rockwall, TX
The first step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at this time nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to choose a school, you will need to think about all of your alternatives to make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that suits all your preferences.
Items You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be assured you will be taught the full range of competencies required to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of conditions and disorders making it really important that your schooling is very extensive and not too concentrated on a particular area of specialization.
Another important component you should think about is the clinical education experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is when you actually interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools apply substantially more time on your actual practical experience in comparison with other training programs. In situations where your school is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure to ask why.
Something else to look into is the class sizes. The size of your class can vary significantly from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some online classes can ease some of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family tend to be driven aside as students pursue their training and online classes can offer a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last item that you have to have a look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Be sure to find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their observations were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Rockwall, TX
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood College focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year consisting of primarily classroom teaching and with the second year spent going through hands on lessons in a medical center or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers have to become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own policies and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is handled by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and can include the following.
Someone trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is filed to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the transgression may be examined and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that will include several forms to complete. Do not pay for these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trustworthy web sites. It is important to take a very extensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will require you to submit a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a range of patients that have needs that could be completely different the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient facility with kids who may have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab center working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and implementing and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, as there will be several instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Rockwall, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Rockwall, TX reviewed by Madison JORDAN on June 1.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.