When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Rockwall, TX, you can expect to quickly discover that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this particular industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is greater than $53,000 per year making it amongst the best paying healthcare professions that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Rockwall, TX
The first step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at this time nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to choose a school, you will need to think about all of your alternatives to make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that suits all your preferences.
Items You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be assured you will be taught the full range of competencies required to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of conditions and disorders making it really important that your schooling is very extensive and not too concentrated on a particular area of specialization.
Another important component you should think about is the clinical education experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is when you actually interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools apply substantially more time on your actual practical experience in comparison with other training programs. In situations where your school is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure to ask why.
Something else to look into is the class sizes. The size of your class can vary significantly from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some online classes can ease some of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family tend to be driven aside as students pursue their training and online classes can offer a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last item that you have to have a look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Be sure to find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their observations were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Rockwall, TX
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year consisting of primarily classroom teaching and with the second year spent going through hands on lessons in a medical center or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers have to become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own policies and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is handled by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and can include the following.
Someone trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is filed to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the transgression may be examined and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that will include several forms to complete. Do not pay for these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trustworthy web sites. It is important to take a very extensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will require you to submit a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a range of patients that have needs that could be completely different the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient facility with kids who may have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab center working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and implementing and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, as there will be several instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Rockwall, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Rockwall, TX reviewed by Madison JORDAN on June 1.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.