As you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Rolla, MO, you are going to quickly see that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 annually making it right there with the highest paying healthcare jobs that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Rolla, MO
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to pick a school, it is important to examine all of your options to make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your preferences.
Details You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be reassured you will learn about the full variety of techniques required to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of issues and disorders making it very important that your training is very extensive instead of too focused on one particular discipline.
Another significant factor to take under consideration is the clinical education experience. This is your hands-on training, it is when you are able to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools apply considerably more time on your actual laboratory experience compared to other schools. In cases where your school is not spending large amounts of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you find out why.
Another thing to also consider is the class size. The size of your class can vary significantly from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time that you receive with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. However, for many people online training courses can relieve many of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and loved ones are often driven aside while students undertake their education and online classes provide some flexibility to a busy life.
The last item that you should take a look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are considering. Make sure you find out how many people graduate from the program, what their assessments were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Rolla, MO
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year consisting of mainly classroom training and with the second year spent doing hands on training in a hospital or private care office. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terminology, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure only want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that most Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers will need to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own rules and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Missouri, licensing is administrated by the Missouri State Board of Occupational Therapy. While each State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among the majority of them and include the following.
A person seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and passed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the offense may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that is going to contain numerous forms to fill out. Do not spend money on these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many trusted internet sites. It is advised to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will require you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients who have needs that will be different in comparison to the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient facility with infants that happen to have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and implementing and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be reasonably physically fit, because there will be numerous instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Rolla, MO that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Rolla, MO reviewed by Aubrey GIBSON on June 17.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an OTA.