When you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Ronkonkoma, NY, you will soon learn that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this particular field to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 yearly which makes it right there with the highest paying medical-related professions that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Ronkonkoma, NY
The first step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to pick a training program, be sure that you think about all of your alternatives and make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that fulfills all your preferences.
Items You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be reassured that you will be taught the full array of skills needed to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of ailments and disorders making it really important that your schooling is very diverse rather then too focused on a particular area of specialization.
Another important component to take under consideration is the clinical training experience. This is the practical training, it is where you will interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools dedicate considerably more time on your actual laboratory training when compared to other schools. In instances where your training program is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to look into is the class sizes. The size of your class will vary significantly from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time you will get with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. However, for many of us online classes can relieve a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family members are oftentimes pushed aside as students carry on their schooling and online classes can provide a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final issue you need to take a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Make sure that you find out how many people finish the program, what their opinions were, and how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Ronkonkoma, NY
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.S. in Addiction Counseling
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is roughly two years, with the first year consisting of mainly classroom training and with the second year spent carrying out hands on training in a healthcare facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those prepared to begin their careers must become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own policies and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In New York, licensing is controlled by the New York State Board for Occupational Therapy. Although each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and include the following.
A person applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider processing an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the criminal offense may be evaluated and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit which will include several forms to complete. Never buy these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many reputable websites. It is advised to take a very extensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will require you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients who have needs which can be very different in comparison to the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient clinic with toddlers who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab center working with a middle age woman with emotional struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and learning and using the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be reasonably physically fit, as you will have plenty of instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Ronkonkoma, NY that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Ronkonkoma, NY reviewed by Dave BLACK on June 13.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an OTA.