When you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Roseville, MN, you will quickly discover that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 annually making it amongst the best paying health care jobs that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Roseville, MN
The first step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to decide on a school, make sure you evaluate all of your options and make sure you find an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your needs.
Items You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be reassured that you will be taught the full range of competencies necessary to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of health conditions and disorders making it really important that your schooling is very diverse instead of too focused on a particular area of specialization.
Another important feature you should consider is the clinical education experience. This is your practical training, and this is where you are able to interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools designate substantially more time on your actual clinical training when compared to other schools. In cases where your school is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to look into is the class sizes. The size of your class may vary significantly from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time that you receive with the instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Yet, for some people online training courses can relieve some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and loved ones will often be pushed aside while students carry on their schooling and online classes can offer a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last issue you should look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are evaluating. Make sure to find out how many students finish the program, what their comments were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Roseville, MN
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year being predominantly class-room teaching and with the second year spent doing hands on lessons in a healthcare facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to get started with their careers must become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Minnesota, licensing is handled by the Minnesota Department of Health OT/OTA Licensing Advisory Council. Though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Any individual seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and completed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be evaluated and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that will include many forms to submit. You should not pay for these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many trustworthy sites. It is recommended to take a very in depth look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will need you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients who have needs that could be different compared to the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient facility with small children who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, some of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and learning and using the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, since there will be several instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Roseville, MN that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Roseville, MN reviewed by Kiko LEE on June 17.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an OTA.