Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Round Lake Beach, IL, you are going to soon realize that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this field to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 annually which makes it amongst the best paying healthcare careers that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Round Lake Beach, IL
The first step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at this time almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to choose a training program, be sure that you analyze all of the options to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school that fulfills all your preferences.
Details You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be certain you will be taught the full range of techniques necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of conditions and disorders therefore it is essential that your course work is very extensive instead of too concentrated on a particular area of specialization.
Another very important component you must consider is the clinical training experience. This is the practical training, it is where you actually interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools apply considerably more time on your actual clinical experience as compared to others. In cases where your training program is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you ask why.
Something else to also consider is the class size. The size of can vary significantly from school to school. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. However, for many of us online courses can ease some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members are often driven aside while students carry on their education and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last thing you ought to evaluate prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are looking at. Be sure you find out how many people graduate from the program, what their evaluations were, and just how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Round Lake Beach, IL
- Occupational Therapy Assistant - Associate of Applied Science
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year being mostly class-room training and with the second year spent doing hands on lessons in a medical facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to start their careers will need to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own policies and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Illinois, licensing is controlled by the Illinois Occupational Therapy Board. Even though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of them and can include the following.
An individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider processing an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the transgression may be evaluated and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that will include a number of forms to submit. Do not pay for these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many legitimate web sites. It is recommended to take a very detailed look through the forms before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will require you to submit a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients who have needs which may be different compared to the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient clinic with children that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and implementing and applying the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be relatively physically fit, as there will be plenty of instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Round Lake Beach, IL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Round Lake Beach, IL reviewed by Kent JORDAN on June 14.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.