As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Ruidoso, NM, you will quickly realize that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this particular field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is over $53,000 yearly which makes it right there with the best paying healthcare occupations that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Ruidoso, NM
The first step toward a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to choose a training program, it is important to examine all of your options to make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that fits all your needs.
Items You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be confident you will learn about the full range of skills required to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of issues and disorders so it is really important that your schooling is very diversified and not too focused on a particular discipline.
Another very important component you should think about is the clinical training experience. This is the hands-on training, it is where you actually interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools apply substantially more time on your actual clinical experience as compared to other schools. In cases where your school is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to consider is the class size. The size of can vary considerably from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some online training courses can alleviate some of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household are oftentimes pushed aside as students pursue their schooling and online classes may offer some flexibility to a busy life.
The final issue you need to check out before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are considering. Be sure to find out how many people graduate from the program, what their opinions were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Ruidoso, NM
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year consisting of mainly classroom teaching and with the second year spent carrying out hands on training in a healthcare facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will want to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure only call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to begin their careers need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own rules and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In NM, licensing is handled by the New Mexico Board of Examiners for Occupational Therapy. Although every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among most of them and can include the following.
An individual trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the crime may be assessed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package which will include quite a few forms to fill out. Never spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many reputable internet sites. It is recommended to take a very detailed look through the forms before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to submit a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients that have needs that could be completely different than from the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient facility with children that have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be somewhat physically fit, because you will have plenty of instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Ruidoso, NM that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Ruidoso, NM reviewed by Caroline BRADLEY on June 16.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.