Once you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Salisbury, MD, you are going to soon find that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this particular industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is over $53,000 per year making it amongst the best paying healthcare jobs that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Salisbury, MD
The first step towards a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are at this time almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and decide on a training program, you will need to examine all of your options to make certain you find an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your preferences.
Items You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be certain you will be taught the full range of skills needed to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of conditions and disorders making it very important that your course work is very diverse and not too dedicated to one particular area of specialization.
Another significant factor you should consider is the clinical training experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is where you actually interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools apply significantly more time on your actual laboratory training when compared to other training programs. In cases where your school is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you find out why.
Something else to look into is the class sizes. The size of may vary considerably from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. However, for some people online training courses can relieve many of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and household are frequently pushed aside while students carry on their education and learning and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final thing you might like to look into before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are looking at. Make certain you find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their evaluations were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Salisbury, MD
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly two years, with the first year consisting of mostly classroom instruction and with the second year spent working on hands on instruction in a hospital facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers will need to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own guidelines and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Maryland, licensing is controlled by the Maryland Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Although each State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among the majority of them and include the following.
Any person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider approving an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the offense may be evaluated and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet which will include many forms to complete. Never pay for these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many trusted internet sites. It is advised to take a very thorough look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will want you to turn in a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients which have needs which are often totally different than from the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient clinic with infants that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and learning and applying the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be relatively physically fit, since you will encounter numerous instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Salisbury, MD that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Salisbury, MD reviewed by John WRIGHT on June 3.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.