As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in San Anselmo, CA, you should quickly discover that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 per year which makes it amongst the highest paying medical occupations that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in San Anselmo, CA
The first step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are presently approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and decide on a school, you will need to think about all of the options to make certain you find an Occupational Therapy school that matches all your preferences.
Items You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be confident that you will learn about the full array of techniques required to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of health problems and disorders so it is really important that your course work is very wide-ranging instead of too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another important variable you should consider is the clinical learning experience. This is your practical training, it is where you will interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools dedicate significantly more time on your actual clinical training when compared to other schools. In instances where your school is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical training, make sure to find out why.
Something else to also consider is the class size. The size of your class can vary considerably from school to school. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for some people online training courses can alleviate some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members are frequently driven aside as students carry on their schooling and online classes can provide a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last item you should consider prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Make certain you find out how many students graduate from the program, what their opinions were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in San Anselmo, CA
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year consisting of mostly classroom teaching and with the second year spent going through hands on instruction in a hospital facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those wanting to get started with their careers will have to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own policies and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is controlled by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though every State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among many of them and can include the following.
An individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider processing an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is filed to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time period and nature of the offense may be examined and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet which will include numerous forms to fill out. Do not buy these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many trusted sites. It is important to take a very in depth look through the paper work before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will want you to submit a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a range of patients who may have needs that will be very different the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient clinic with children that have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and learning and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be relatively physically fit, as you will encounter plenty of instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near San Anselmo, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in San Anselmo, CA reviewed by Jeremiah SANCHEZ on June 12.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.