Once you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in San Marino, CA, you can expect to soon learn that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this field to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 per year making it right there with the highest paying medical jobs that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in San Marino, CA
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to decide on a school, be sure that you examine all of your alternatives and make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your requirements.
Items You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be certain you will learn about the full range of skills needed to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of health conditions and disorders so it is essential that your course work is very diversified and not too dedicated to a particular discipline.
Another important component you must consider is the clinical education experience. This is your practical training, it is when you are able to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools apply significantly more time on your actual clinical training compared to others. In situations where your training program is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical training, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to consider is the class size. The size of will vary significantly from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for some people online training courses can relieve a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family will often be driven aside as students continue their education and learning and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last detail you need to examine before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Make sure you find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their opinions were, and just how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in San Marino, CA
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year being predominantly class-room instruction and with the second year spent going through hands on learning in a hospital or private care office. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure only call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers must become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own policies and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is handled by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. While each State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among most of them and include the following.
An individual seeking an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and passed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the offense may be reviewed and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that will include many forms to complete. Do not purchase these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many legitimate websites. It is recommended to take a very in depth look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will require you to include a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients who have needs which are often different than from the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient clinic with children who have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and implementing and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be somewhat physically fit, since there will be many instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near San Marino, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in San Marino, CA reviewed by Jack CAMPBELL on June 11.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.