When you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Sanford, FL, you should quickly learn that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this particular field to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is greater than $53,000 per year which makes it amongst the highest paying healthcare careers that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Sanford, FL
The first step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy School. There are presently almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and pick a school, make sure that you consider all of your alternatives to make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy school that fits all your preferences.
Details You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be assured that you will learn about the full array of techniques necessary to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of conditions and disorders making it very important that your training is very diversified rather then too dedicated to one particular area of specialization.
Another significant variable to take under consideration is the clinical teaching experience. This is your hands-on training, it is when you are going to interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools designate considerably more time on your actual clinical training when compared to other training programs. In instances where your training program is not investing large amounts of time with clinical training, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to think about is the class sizes. The size of your class can vary considerably from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time you will get with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. However, for some online training courses can ease a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and loved ones are frequently driven aside while students continue their education and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final issue you might like to look into before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are looking at. Be sure you find out how many people complete the program, what their observations were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Sanford, FL
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Experience world-class education online: Purdue Global offers 180 programs at associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral levels
- Courses taught by highly respected faculty members who are experts in their fields
- Competency-based ExcelTrack™ Programs may allow you to earn your degree faster and for less money
- Full range of student services: individual educational advising, hands-on learning through interactive online classroom, no-cost tutoring in math, science and writing
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is about two years, with the first year being mainly class-room instruction and with the second year spent carrying out hands on training in a medical facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to get started on their careers need to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own guidelines and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is controlled by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Although every State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among most of them and include the following.
Any person applying for an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the offense may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that will contain several forms to submit. Never pay for these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many trustworthy internet sites. It is important to take a very extensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to include a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients who may have needs which may be different compared to the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient facility with kids that have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, some of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and learning and using the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be relatively physically fit, because you will have numerous instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Sanford, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Sanford, FL reviewed by Camila LANE on June 4.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.