Once you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Santa Cruz, CA, you will probably quickly learn that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this field to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistantearnings is over $53,000 yearly making it right there withthe best paying medical careers that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Santa Cruz, CA
The first step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at this time almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to decide on a school, it is very important to consider all of your options to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school thatsatisfies all your preferences.
Items You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be confident that you will be taught the full range of techniques required to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of ailments and disorders so it is imperative that yourschooling is very diversified rather then too focused on a particular discipline.
Another really important variable you should think about is the clinical teaching experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is when you will interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schoolsdedicate significantly more time on your actual laboratory trainingin comparison to others. In situations where your school is not spending large amounts of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to look into is the class size. The size of your class may varyconsiderably from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for many people online courses can relieve some of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family are sometimes pushed aside while students carry on their education and learning and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final issue that you have to take a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are looking at. Make sure you find out how many trainees finish the program, what their comments were , and exactly how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Santa Cruz, CA
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Certificate in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Doctor of Psychology in Clinical Psychology
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
- Alcohol & Drug Counseling Studies
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4,285 students at campuses across the country (Chicago, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C.) and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years. TCSPP offers more than 20 degree programs and a wealth of opportunities for international experiences.
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, Marital and Family Therapy Specialization
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
- AA - Sports and Rehabilitation Therapy
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is roughly two years, with the first year consisting ofmainly class-room instruction and with the second year spent carrying outhands on learning in a hospital facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics , gerontology,healthcare terminology , and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure onlywant a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that most Occupational Therapistbegan their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and facts
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers will need tobecome certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In California, licensure is administered by the Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of themand can include the following.
A person applying for an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the criminal offense may be examinedand be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that will includenumerous forms to complete. Never buy these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many legitimate websites . It is recommended to take a very comprehensive look through theforms before trying to complete them. There will be official transcriptsnecessary ; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to turn in a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a range of patients who have needswhich may be very different the previous patient . You may be working for an outpatient facility with infants that have food or texture aversions or a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills , a couple of the basics such as following direction , keeping up to date with the latest techniques and implementing and applying the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be relatively physically fit, since you will havemany instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Santa Cruz, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Santa Cruz, CA reviewed by Nevaeh RAMOS on June 9.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.