Once you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Santa Cruz, CA, you will probably quickly learn that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this field to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistantearnings is over $53,000 yearly making it right there withthe best paying medical careers that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Santa Cruz, CA
The first step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at this time almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to decide on a school, it is very important to consider all of your options to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school thatsatisfies all your preferences.
Items You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be confident that you will be taught the full range of techniques required to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of ailments and disorders so it is imperative that yourschooling is very diversified rather then too focused on a particular discipline.
Another really important variable you should think about is the clinical teaching experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is when you will interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schoolsdedicate significantly more time on your actual laboratory trainingin comparison to others. In situations where your school is not spending large amounts of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to look into is the class size. The size of your class may varyconsiderably from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for many people online courses can relieve some of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family are sometimes pushed aside while students carry on their education and learning and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final issue that you have to take a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are looking at. Make sure you find out how many trainees finish the program, what their comments were , and exactly how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Santa Cruz, CA
- Occupational Therapy Aide
- Physical Therapy Aide
- Substance Abuse
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, Marital and Family Therapy Specialization
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
- Psy.D. Applied Clinical Psychology
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is roughly two years, with the first year consisting ofmainly class-room instruction and with the second year spent carrying outhands on learning in a hospital facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics , gerontology,healthcare terminology , and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure onlywant a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that most Occupational Therapistbegan their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and facts
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers will need tobecome certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In California, licensure is administered by the Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of themand can include the following.
A person applying for an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the criminal offense may be examinedand be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that will includenumerous forms to complete. Never buy these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many legitimate websites . It is recommended to take a very comprehensive look through theforms before trying to complete them. There will be official transcriptsnecessary ; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to turn in a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a range of patients who have needswhich may be very different the previous patient . You may be working for an outpatient facility with infants that have food or texture aversions or a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills , a couple of the basics such as following direction , keeping up to date with the latest techniques and implementing and applying the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be relatively physically fit, since you will havemany instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Santa Cruz, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Santa Cruz, CA reviewed by Nevaeh RAMOS on June 9.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.