When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Schertz, TX, you can expect to quickly see that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs within this field to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 annually which makes it right there with the highest paying health care careers that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Schertz, TX
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and decide on a school, make sure you analyze all of your options to make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your needs.
Details You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be assured you will be taught the full range of techniques required to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of issues and disorders therefore it is crucial that your training is very extensive and not too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another significant feature you should consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is the practical training, it is when you will interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools commit significantly more time on your actual laboratory training compared to other training programs. In situations where your training program is not investing large amounts of time with clinical teaching, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to also consider is the class sizes. The size of can vary greatly from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time you will get with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some online classes can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and loved ones can be pushed aside while students continue their education and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last factor you need to take a look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Make sure to find out how many trainees finish the program, what their reviews were, and just how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Schertz, TX
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
Our programs are focused and centered on empowering you with the skills you need to enter the expanding and rewarding Health Care Industry. Learn only what you need to gain employment in your particular field, so you can get certified and enter the job market faster.
- Physical Therapy Technician Certificate
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year being mostly classroom instruction and with the second year spent carrying out hands on instruction in a healthcare facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure only require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those ready to start their careers must become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own rules and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is controlled by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Although each State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and can include the following.
Someone attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider processing an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the crime may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that is going to contain a number of forms to complete. Do not purchase these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many trusted websites. It is recommended to take a very extensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will want you to include a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients which have needs which are often very different than from the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient facility with kids that have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be reasonably physically fit, as there will be several instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Schertz, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Schertz, TX reviewed by Ava WALLACE on June 4.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.