After you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Scotts Valley, CA, you should quickly realize that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this particular industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 per year making it right there with the best paying health care jobs that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Scotts Valley, CA
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to select a school, you might want to analyze all of your options and make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that matches all your preferences.
Details You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be assured that you are going to learn about the full range of competencies necessary to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of issues and disorders so it is important that your schooling is very wide-ranging rather then too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another very important feature to take under consideration is the clinical education experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is when you are going to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools allocate considerably more time on your actual practical experience when compared to others. In instances where your training program is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical training, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to look into is the class sizes. The size of the classes may vary significantly from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Yet, for many of us online classes can alleviate many of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family members are sometimes driven aside as students undertake their training and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The final detail you need to evaluate before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Be sure you find out how many people finish the program, what their comments were, and just how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Scotts Valley, CA
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is about 24 months, with the first year being mostly classroom teaching and with the second year spent going through hands on training in a medical center or private care office. Some of the course work a student will be required to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own policies and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is controlled by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among many of them and include the following.
Someone trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and must have taken and completed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider processing an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the offense may be examined and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that will include quite a few forms to submit. Do not purchase these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many trusted websites. It is advised to take a very in depth look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will want you to turn in a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients which have needs that could be totally different the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient facility with children that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and implementing and using the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be somewhat physically fit, as there will be numerous instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Scotts Valley, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Scotts Valley, CA reviewed by Robert RIVERA on June 13.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an OTA.