As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Sevierville, TN, you will probably quickly realize that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this field to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is greater than $53,000 annually making it right there with the best paying health care careers that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Sevierville, TN
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at the moment almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and choose a school, make sure that you think about all of your options to make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy school that fulfills all your preferences.
Items You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be confident that you are going to learn about the full array of competencies required to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of issues and disorders therefore it is essential that your course work is very extensive rather then too concentrated on a particular area of specialization.
Another significant factor you must consider is the clinical learning experience. This is the practical training, and this is when you will interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools commit considerably more time on your actual clinical experience when compared to others. In situations where your training program is not spending large amounts of time with clinical training, make sure that you ask why.
Something else to also consider is the class size. The size of may vary significantly from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time that you receive with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for many people online classes can relieve some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family are often driven aside while students continue their education and learning and online classes provide some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final item you ought to check out before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the training programs you are looking at. Always find out how many people finish the program, what their opinions were, and just how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Sevierville, TN
At South College we welcome students from all different stages of life and career. Whether you are pursing a degree for the first time, going back to school as an adult learner, or furthering your career with an advanced degree, our faculty and staff will partner with you to give your dreams direction.
- AS Occupational Therapy Assistant
- BS Health Science (Post PTA)
- AAS Physical Therapist Assistant
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Psychology Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is approximately two years, with the first year consisting of mainly class-room instruction and with the second year spent working on hands on instruction in a healthcare facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure only want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to start their careers need to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own rules and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Tennessee, licensing is administrated by the Tennessee Board of Occupational Therapy & Physical Therapy Examiners. While each State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among many of them and can include the following.
A person seeking an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and must have taken and completed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider processing an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the criminal offense may be reviewed and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that is going to include numerous forms to fill out. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many reputable web sites. It is important to take a very thorough look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to include a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients which have needs which are often totally different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient clinic with young children that happen to have food or texture aversions or a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age woman with emotional struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and learning and employing the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, as there will be numerous instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Sevierville, TN that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Sevierville, TN reviewed by Sebastian COX on June 7.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.