After you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Shawnee, KS, you should quickly find that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this field to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 per year making it one of the best paying medical careers that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Shawnee, KS
The first step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and select a school, make sure you evaluate all of your options to make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy school that fits all your needs.
Details You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be confident that you will be taught the full variety of techniques necessary to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of health problems and disorders therefore it is crucial that your course work is very diversified and not too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another important feature to take under consideration is the clinical teaching experience. This is your practical training, and this is when you are able to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit significantly more time on your actual practical training as compared to others. In situations where your school is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical training, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to look into is the class sizes. The size of can vary greatly from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time that you receive with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Yet, for some online training courses can relieve a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family are sometimes pushed aside while students carry on their training and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final detail you might want to look at prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are considering. Always find out how many people graduate from the program, what their comments were, and how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Shawnee, KS
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year consisting of predominantly class-room instruction and with the second year spent working on hands on lessons in a medical center or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to start their careers need to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own rules and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Kansas, licensing is administered by the Kansas State Board of Healing Arts. Though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among many of them and include the following.
Someone trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the criminal offense may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit which will include numerous forms to fill out. Never buy these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trusted internet sites. It is advised to take a very extensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will require you to complete a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients who have needs which can be very different the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient facility with small children who may have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and learning and employing the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be reasonably physically fit, since you will encounter numerous instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Shawnee, KS that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Shawnee, KS reviewed by Phil HAYES on June 12.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an OTA.