When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Shelbyville, TN, you should soon discover that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this particular field to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is greater than $53,000 per year which makes it right there with the best paying healthcare jobs that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Shelbyville, TN
The first step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy School. There are currently almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and select a training program, it is very important to consider all of your options to make certain you find an Occupational Therapy school that fits all your requirements.
Items You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be certain that you are going to be taught the full range of techniques needed to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of issues and disorders therefore it is crucial that your schooling is very extensive rather then too focused on a particular area of specialization.
Another significant component to take under consideration is the clinical learning experience. This is your practical training, and this is when you are able to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools apply significantly more time on your actual clinical experience when compared to the other training programs. In instances where your school is not investing large amounts of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you ask why.
Something else to look into is the class size. The size of may vary greatly from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Yet, for many people online training can relieve several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household are oftentimes driven aside while students carry on their education and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final detail you should look into before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are looking at. Make sure to find out how many students finish the program, what their reviews were, and how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Shelbyville, TN
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Occupational Therapy Assistant - Associate of Applied Science
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
At South College we welcome students from all different stages of life and career. Whether you are pursing a degree for the first time, going back to school as an adult learner, or furthering your career with an advanced degree, our faculty and staff will partner with you to give your dreams direction.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Bachelor of Science in Health Science (Post PTA)
- Associate of Science in Physical Therapist Assistant
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year being predominantly class-room teaching and with the second year spent carrying out hands on learning in a medical facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will be required to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those ready to begin their careers must become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own rules and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Tennessee, licensing is controlled by the Tennessee Board of Occupational Therapy & Physical Therapy Examiners. Although each State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among many of them and include the following.
Any individual trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider processing an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time period and nature of the crime may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that is going to include several forms to submit. Never purchase these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trustworthy web sites. It is recommended to take a very extensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will want you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients who have needs which are often very different in comparison to the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient facility with young children that happen to have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and learning and employing the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be relatively physically fit, because you will encounter many instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Shelbyville, TN that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Shelbyville, TN reviewed by Liam DAVIS on June 8.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.