After you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in South Miami, FL, you will soon find that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this particular industry to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is over $53,000 annually which makes it among the best paying health care careers that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in South Miami, FL
The first step towards a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at this time approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to decide on a training program, you will need to analyze all of the options and make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that fulfills all your preferences.
Items You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be reassured you will be taught the full range of techniques needed to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of issues and disorders so it is important that your course work is very diversified rather then too dedicated to one particular area of specialization.
Another really important feature you must consider is the clinical training experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is when you will interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools allocate substantially more time on your actual clinical experience in comparison with other training programs. In instances where your training program is not investing large amounts of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you ask why.
Another thing to also consider is the class sizes. The size of your class can vary considerably from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. However, for many people online courses can ease some of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and loved ones are sometimes pushed aside while students pursue their training and online classes can provide some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last detail you might want to examine before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Be sure you find out how many students complete the program, what their opinions were, and just how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in South Miami, FL
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Mental Health Technology
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year being predominantly classroom training and with the second year spent working on hands on instruction in a medical center or private care office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that most Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers have to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own policies and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is controlled by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. While every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among most of them and can include the following.
Someone applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider processing an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the crime may be assessed and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that will contain numerous forms to submit. Do not purchase these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many trustworthy websites. It is advised to take a very in depth look through the forms before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will require you to include a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients who have needs which may be totally different the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient clinic with infants who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, some of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and learning and employing the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, because you will have many instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near South Miami, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in South Miami, FL reviewed by Jocelyn HART on June 17.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an OTA.