As you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Springdale, OH, you will quickly learn that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this particular industry to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is over $53,000 annually which makes it among the highest paying health care vocations that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Springdale, OH
The first step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to select a training program, it is very important to analyze all of your alternatives to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that meets all your needs.
Items You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be reassured that you will learn about the full variety of competencies required to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of health conditions and disorders therefore it is imperative that your training is very diversified instead of too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another important factor you should look at is the clinical training experience. This is the practical training, it is when you are going to interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools commit substantially more time on your actual practical training as compared to other training programs. In instances where your training program is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical training, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to also consider is the class size. The size of the classes will vary greatly from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Yet, for some online training courses can relieve a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family members tend to be driven aside as students pursue their education and online classes can provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last item you need to evaluate prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the schools you are evaluating. Make sure to find out how many trainees complete the program, what their opinions were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Springdale, OH
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Human Services, Bachelor of Science in Psychology in Addiction, and more.
- Approved as an education provider by the National Association for Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC).
- Courses cover topics such as addiction science, assessment, prevention, and treatment.
- Students learn how to identify, plan, and use resources to help improve client situations.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year consisting of primarily class-room instruction and with the second year spent carrying out hands on lessons in a medical facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will be required to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own policies and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Ohio, licensing is administrated by the Ohio Occupational Therapy Physical Therapy and Athletic Trainers Board. Although every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among many of them and include the following.
Any person seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the transgression may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that is going to contain quite a few forms to fill out. Do not purchase these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many trusted web sites. It is advised to take a very detailed look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will want you to turn in a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a range of patients who have needs which can be different the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient facility with children that happen to have food or texture aversions or a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and learning and applying the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be somewhat physically fit, since you will have plenty of instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Springdale, OH that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Springdale, OH reviewed by Skylar ARMSTRONG on June 11.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an OTA.