Once you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Springfield, TN, you will quickly find that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 per year which makes it one of the highest paying healthcare occupations that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Springfield, TN
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and pick a school, make sure that you analyze all of your options and make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that fits all your preferences.
Things You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be reassured you will learn about the full array of skills necessary to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of ailments and disorders so it is essential that your schooling is very diversified and not too focused on one particular area of specialization.
Another very important variable you should consider is the clinical education experience. This is the practical training, and this is where you will interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit considerably more time on your actual laboratory experience when compared to other training programs. In cases where your training program is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you find out why.
Something else to think about is the class size. The size of your class can vary significantly from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for some people online courses can relieve a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family members will often be driven aside as students pursue their education and learning and online classes provide some flexibility to a busy life.
The last item you ought to evaluate before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the schools you are considering. Make sure that you find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their evaluations were, and just how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Springfield, TN
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Occupational Therapy Assistant - Associate of Applied Science
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
At South College we welcome students from all different stages of life and career. Whether you are pursing a degree for the first time, going back to school as an adult learner, or furthering your career with an advanced degree, our faculty and staff will partner with you to give your dreams direction.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Bachelor of Science in Health Science (Post PTA)
- Associate of Science in Physical Therapist Assistant
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly two years, with the first year being mostly classroom instruction and with the second year spent doing hands on training in a hospital facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers must become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own rules and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Tennessee, licensing is controlled by the Tennessee Board of Occupational Therapy & Physical Therapy Examiners. While each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among the majority of them and include the following.
An individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider processing an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be assessed and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet which will include quite a few forms to submit. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trustworthy web sites. It is important to take a very extensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will require you to turn in a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients that have needs that may be different in comparison to the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient clinic with infants who may have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age woman with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and implementing and employing the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be relatively physically fit, since there will be plenty of instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Springfield, TN that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Springfield, TN reviewed by Michael WILSON on June 15.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.