As you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in St. Matthews, KY, you should quickly discover that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this field to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 annually which makes it one of the best paying medical vocations that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in St. Matthews, KY
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at this time almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to pick a training program, you will need to consider all of your alternatives to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that matches all your requirements.
Things You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be assured you will be taught the full range of competencies required to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of conditions and disorders so it is crucial that your schooling is very extensive and not too focused on a particular area of specialization.
Another important component you should think about is the clinical learning experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is when you will interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools dedicate considerably more time on your actual laboratory training in comparison to other training programs. In situations where your school is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical instructing, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to also consider is the class size. The size of the classes will vary considerably from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Yet, for many of us online courses can relieve a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family are often driven aside as students undertake their training and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The final detail you might want to look into before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are looking at. Always find out how many people finish the program, what their reviews were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in St. Matthews, KY
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Occupational Therapy Assistant - Associate of Applied Science
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is about two years, with the first year being primarily class-room training and with the second year spent going through hands on instruction in a hospital or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to start their careers must become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own rules and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Kentucky, licensing is administered by the Kentucky Board of Licensure for Occupational Therapy. Even though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among most of them and include the following.
An individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be evaluated and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that will contain quite a few forms to submit. You should not pay for these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many legitimate websites. It is important to take a very extensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will require you to include a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients who have needs which are often completely different in comparison to the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient facility with kids who have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and implementing and applying the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be somewhat physically fit, because you will have plenty of instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near St. Matthews, KY that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in St. Matthews, KY reviewed by Jeremiah SANCHEZ on June 2.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.