When you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Stafford, TX, you should soon learn that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs within this field to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 per year which makes it among the best paying healthcare jobs that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Stafford, TX
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy School. There are presently nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to decide on a training program, you might want to think about all of your alternatives to make certain you find an Occupational Therapy school that satisfies all your needs.
Items You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be certain that you are going to learn about the full range of techniques required to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of ailments and disorders so it is crucial that your training is very diverse rather then too concentrated on a particular discipline.
Another really important variable you must consider is the clinical training experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is where you actually interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools dedicate substantially more time on your actual practical training in comparison to other schools. In instances where your training program is not spending a large amount of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you ask why.
Something else to consider is the class sizes. The size of the classes will vary considerably from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Yet, for many of us online classes can alleviate several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members can be driven aside while students pursue their training and online classes can provide some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last thing you might like to look into before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are considering. Make sure to find out how many students complete the program, what their observations were, and how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Stafford, TX
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
The Texas Center for Massage Therapy is a member of the Steiner Education Group, which is a subsidiary of Steiner Leisure Limited, a global provider of spa services. Steiner Leisure Limited operates more than 175 spas and salons on cruise ships and at resorts worldwide. Steiner spas recruit from the Steiner Education Group schools.
Classes start November 13!
REACH HIGHER, GET HIRED
Take the step to get a new career today
SPARK SUCCESS WITH SCI
Southern Careers Institute has maintained a tradition of career training for over 50 years in Texas with campuses in Austin, Brownsville, Corpus Christi, Harlingen, Pharr, San Antonio & Online courses available to anyone, anywhere.
At SCI, we have made it our mission to provide our students with the training they need to be successful in a new career. We offer career training in Medical, Business, Skilled Trades, Cosmetology, & Technology programs. These certification-based programs are designed to make our graduates some of the most marketable job candidates.
We are Texas born, Texas proud.
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly two years, with the first year consisting of predominantly class-room instruction and with the second year spent doing hands on learning in a hospital or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure only want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to get started on their careers must become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own policies and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is handled by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among many of them and include the following.
A person seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and must have taken and passed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the criminal offense may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that is going to contain quite a few forms to complete. Do not pay for these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many trusted web sites. It is important to take a very detailed look through the forms before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will need you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients that have needs that may be very different the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient facility with children who have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and learning and using the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, because there will be several instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Stafford, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Stafford, TX reviewed by Zoey GOMEZ on June 16.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.