When you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Stafford, TX, you should soon learn that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs within this field to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 per year which makes it among the best paying healthcare jobs that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Stafford, TX
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy School. There are presently nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to decide on a training program, you might want to think about all of your alternatives to make certain you find an Occupational Therapy school that satisfies all your needs.
Items You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be certain that you are going to learn about the full range of techniques required to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of ailments and disorders so it is crucial that your training is very diverse rather then too concentrated on a particular discipline.
Another really important variable you must consider is the clinical training experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is where you actually interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools dedicate substantially more time on your actual practical training in comparison to other schools. In instances where your training program is not spending a large amount of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you ask why.
Something else to consider is the class sizes. The size of the classes will vary considerably from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Yet, for many of us online classes can alleviate several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members can be driven aside while students pursue their training and online classes can provide some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last thing you might like to look into before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are considering. Make sure to find out how many students complete the program, what their observations were, and how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Stafford, TX
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly two years, with the first year consisting of predominantly class-room instruction and with the second year spent doing hands on learning in a hospital or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure only want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to get started on their careers must become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own policies and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is handled by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among many of them and include the following.
A person seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and must have taken and passed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the criminal offense may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that is going to contain quite a few forms to complete. Do not pay for these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many trusted web sites. It is important to take a very detailed look through the forms before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will need you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients that have needs that may be very different the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient facility with children who have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and learning and using the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, because there will be several instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Stafford, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Stafford, TX reviewed by Zoey GOMEZ on June 16.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.