Once you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Stephenville, TX, you can expect to soon find that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this particular field to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is over $53,000 annually which makes it one of the highest paying medical careers that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Stephenville, TX
The first step toward a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy School. There are presently nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and choose a training program, be sure that you consider all of your options to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that matches all your needs.
Items You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be assured that you will learn about the full range of competencies needed to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of health concerns and disorders making it essential that your schooling is very diverse and not too focused on a particular area of specialization.
Another significant factor to take under consideration is the clinical training experience. This is your hands-on training, it is when you are going to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools apply considerably more time on your actual clinical experience in comparison to other schools. In situations where your school is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical instructing, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to consider is the class sizes. The size of the classes can vary significantly from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Nevertheless, for many people online classes can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and loved ones can be driven aside as students pursue their schooling and online classes can provide some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final thing that you have to consider before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are looking at. Be sure to find out how many students graduate from the program, what their evaluations were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Stephenville, TX
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year being primarily classroom instruction and with the second year spent going through hands on training in a hospital or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to begin their careers have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own rules and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is administrated by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Though every State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among many of them and include the following.
Any person seeking an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that will contain a number of forms to fill out. Do not spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trustworthy web sites. It is recommended to take a very comprehensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will want you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients that have needs which can be different than from the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient facility with infants that happen to have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and implementing and using the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be somewhat physically fit, because you will encounter several instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Stephenville, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Stephenville, TX reviewed by Samantha STEVENS on June 12.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.