As you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Stuart, FL, you will quickly discover that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this field to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is over $53,000 annually which makes it right there with the highest paying health care occupations that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Stuart, FL
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at the moment approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to decide on a school, make sure you evaluate all of your alternatives and make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school that matches all your needs.
Details You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be certain that you are going to learn about the full variety of competencies needed to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of issues and disorders making it very important that your schooling is very wide-ranging rather then too dedicated to a particular discipline.
Another significant factor to take under consideration is the clinical education experience. This is your practical training, and this is when you are going to interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools designate considerably more time on your actual laboratory training in comparison to other schools. In instances where your training program is not spending a large amount of time with clinical training, make sure to find out why.
Something else to look into is the class sizes. The size of may vary greatly from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Yet, for many of us online courses can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family will often be driven aside as students undertake their training and online classes can provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final factor you might like to examine before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are looking at. Make sure to find out how many people complete the program, what their observations were, and how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Stuart, FL
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Master of Science in Occupational Therapy - Bridge Program
- Associate of Science in Physical Therapist Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- A.S. - A.H. - Mental Health Technology
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year consisting of mainly class-room instruction and with the second year spent doing hands on training in a medical center or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers must become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own guidelines and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is administrated by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. While every State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among the majority of them and can include the following.
An individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and completed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider processing an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the offense may be assessed and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet which will include several forms to complete. You should not pay for these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many legitimate internet sites. It is advised to take a very thorough look through the forms before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will require you to include a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients which have needs that could be different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient clinic with small children that have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age woman with emotional struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, some of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and implementing and employing the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be somewhat physically fit, since there will be numerous instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Stuart, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Stuart, FL reviewed by Alexandra DUNCAN on June 14.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.