When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Sudbury, MA, you can expect to quickly realize that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this particular industry to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is greater than $53,000 annually which makes it right there with the best paying health care vocations that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Sudbury, MA
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are presently approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and pick a training program, it is very important to consider all of the options and make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy school that satisfies all your needs.
Details You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be certain you will learn about the full array of skills necessary to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of health problems and disorders making it imperative that your schooling is very extensive rather then too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another important factor you should look at is the clinical learning experience. This is the practical training, it is where you are able to interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools allocate significantly more time on your actual clinical experience when compared to others. In instances where your school is not investing a large amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to consider is the class size. The size of your class can vary considerably from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Yet, for many people online classes can relieve a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household are frequently pushed aside while students continue their education and learning and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final factor you might like to have a look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are looking at. Be sure you find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their evaluations were, and how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Sudbury, MA
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about 2 years, with the first year consisting of primarily classroom teaching and with the second year spent doing hands on instruction in a medical center or private care office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that most Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own guidelines and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Massachusetts, licensing is administrated by the Massachusetts Board of Registration Allied Health Professions Division of Professional Licensure. Though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and include the following.
An individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time period and nature of the offense may be assessed and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that will contain quite a few forms to complete. Never pay for these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many reputable internet sites. It is important to take a very in depth look through the forms before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will need you to turn in a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients that have needs which are often totally different the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient facility with kids that have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and learning and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be relatively physically fit, because there will be many instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Sudbury, MA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Sudbury, MA reviewed by Adam COLEMAN on June 9.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.