As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Sulphur, LA, you will quickly learn that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 annually making it amongst the highest paying healthcare careers that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Sulphur, LA
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are at this time just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to decide on a school, it is important to analyze all of your options and make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy school that fits all your requirements.
Things You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be certain that you are going to learn about the full variety of competencies needed to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of health problems and disorders therefore it is essential that your course work is very diverse rather then too focused on a particular discipline.
Another important component you should think about is the clinical learning experience. This is your hands-on training, it is where you are going to interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools commit substantially more time on your actual laboratory experience in comparison with others. In instances where your training program is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you ask why.
Another thing to consider is the class size. The size of the classes will vary significantly from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for many people online training courses can relieve some of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family members are frequently driven aside while students pursue their education and learning and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The final detail you need to check out prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Always find out how many trainees complete the program, what their evaluations were, and just how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Sulphur, LA
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about 24 months, with the first year consisting of mainly classroom teaching and with the second year spent doing hands on training in a medical center or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers will need to become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own policies and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Louisiana, licensing is administered by the Louisiana State Board of Medical Examiners. While each State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among the majority of them and include the following.
A person applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider approving an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the crime may be assessed and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that is going to include quite a few forms to fill out. Do not purchase these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many reputable web sites. It is recommended to take a very in depth look through the forms before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will need you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients who may have needs which can be totally different compared to the previous patient. You might be employed in an outpatient clinic with small children who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab center working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and using the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be reasonably physically fit, because you will have numerous instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Sulphur, LA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Sulphur, LA reviewed by Cameron ROGERS on June 1.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.