After you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Sunbury, PA, you should quickly see that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this field to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 per year which makes it right there with the best paying healthcare professions that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Sunbury, PA
The first step toward a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are at this time just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to choose a training program, make sure that you analyze all of the options to make sure you find an Occupational Therapy school that suits all your requirements.
Items You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be confident that you are going to learn about the full variety of techniques required to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of conditions and disorders therefore it is very important that your training is very diverse rather then too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another important component you should consider is the clinical learning experience. This is the practical training, it is where you actually interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools commit significantly more time on your actual clinical experience when compared to the others. In cases where your school is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you find out why.
Another thing to consider is the class sizes. The size of can vary greatly from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Yet, for some people online training can alleviate some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members can be pushed aside as students undertake their education and learning and online classes can provide some flexibility to a busy life.
The final factor you might like to consider prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are considering. Make certain you find out how many people finish the program, what their evaluations were, and how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Sunbury, PA
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about 24 months, with the first year being mostly classroom instruction and with the second year spent doing hands on instruction in a hospital or private care office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that most Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those ready to get started on their careers will have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own policies and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Pennsylvania, licensing is handled by the Pennsylvania State Board of Occupational Therapy Education and Licensure. Though every State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among many of them and include the following.
An individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be evaluated and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit which will include many forms to complete. Never spend money on these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many reputable websites. It is advised to take a very detailed look through the forms before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to include a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a range of patients that have needs which are often totally different compared to the previous patient. You might be employed in an outpatient facility with young children who have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and learning and using the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be relatively physically fit, as you will encounter many instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Sunbury, PA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Sunbury, PA reviewed by Luis WASHINGTON on June 4.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.