After you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Sunny Isles Beach, FL, you are going to quickly see that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is over $53,000 annually which makes it among the highest paying medical-related careers that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Sunny Isles Beach, FL
The first step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and pick a training program, make sure that you consider all of your alternatives and make sure you find an Occupational Therapy school that fits all your preferences.
Details You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be certain you will learn about the full variety of techniques required to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of issues and disorders so it is important that your training is very diverse rather then too focused on a particular area of specialization.
Another really important feature you should consider is the clinical education experience. This is the hands-on training, it is when you are able to interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools apply significantly more time on your actual laboratory training when compared to others. In cases where your training program is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you find out why.
Another thing to consider is the class size. The size of may vary greatly from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time you will get with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Nevertheless, for many people online courses can alleviate a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family members are often driven aside as students carry on their schooling and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last detail you ought to look into before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are considering. Always find out how many people complete the program, what their opinions were, and exactly how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Sunny Isles Beach, FL
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- A.S. - A.H. - Mental Health Technology
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year consisting of primarily classroom training and with the second year spent working on hands on instruction in a medical center or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simply require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to get started with their careers need to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own rules and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is controlled by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Although each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among most of them and include the following.
A person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and must have taken and completed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the offense may be assessed and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package which will contain several forms to fill out. You should not buy these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trustworthy sites. It is advised to take a very extensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients who may have needs which are often different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient clinic with young children that happen to have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and implementing and employing the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be reasonably physically fit, because you will encounter plenty of instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Sunny Isles Beach, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Sunny Isles Beach, FL reviewed by Mackenzie WILLIS on June 12.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.