As you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Tarpon Springs, FL, you can expect to quickly discover that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this particular field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 per year making it one of the best paying health care careers that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Tarpon Springs, FL
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy School. There are presently almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to choose a training program, make sure that you analyze all of your alternatives to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that matches all your needs.
Details You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be certain you will learn about the full array of techniques needed to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of health conditions and disorders therefore it is essential that your course work is very extensive and not too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another very important variable you must consider is the clinical learning experience. This is your practical training, and this is when you actually interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools dedicate significantly more time on your actual practical experience compared to other schools. In cases where your training program is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure to ask why.
Something else to consider is the class size. The size of your class may vary greatly from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. However, for some people online training courses can relieve several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members are frequently driven aside while students undertake their education and online classes can provide some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last thing you ought to evaluate before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are considering. Be sure you find out how many people finish the program, what their assessments were, and just how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Tarpon Springs, FL
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals.
Keiser University is a private, not-for-profit university.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Master of Science in Occupational Therapy - Bridge Program
- Associate of Science in Physical Therapist Assistant
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is about 24 months, with the first year consisting of primarily class-room teaching and with the second year spent working on hands on training in a medical facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that most Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those wanting to get started on their careers need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own policies and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is handled by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Though every State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among the majority of them and include the following.
Any individual seeking an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the crime may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package which will contain numerous forms to fill out. Never buy these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trusted web sites. It is advised to take a very detailed look through the forms before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will need you to turn in a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients who may have needs which can be very different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient facility with infants that happen to have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab center working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and implementing and using the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be somewhat physically fit, because you will have several instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Tarpon Springs, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Tarpon Springs, FL reviewed by Jeremiah SULLIVAN on June 16.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.