When you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Taylor, TX, you are going to quickly learn that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is over $53,000 annually making it amongst the highest paying health care occupations that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Taylor, TX
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy School. There are at the moment just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and choose a training program, make sure you examine all of the options to make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that meets all your needs.
Things You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be confident that you will learn about the full array of competencies needed to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of ailments and disorders so it is really important that your schooling is very diversified and not too focused on one particular area of specialization.
Another important factor you should look at is the clinical learning experience. This is your practical training, and this is where you are able to interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools commit substantially more time on your actual practical training as compared to other schools. In instances where your school is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure that you ask why.
Something else to think about is the class size. The size of the classes can vary considerably from school to school. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time you will get with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. However, for some online training courses can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members tend to be pushed aside as students pursue their schooling and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final factor that you have to look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Be sure to find out how many trainees complete the program, what their comments were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Taylor, TX
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Certificate in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Certificate in Trauma
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- Interested in Changing the Lives of Patients and People with Each New Discussion? Get Educated in the Psychology Field.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Psychology, Human Services, Social Work Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is roughly two years, with the first year consisting of mostly classroom instruction and with the second year spent going through hands on training in a hospital facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to get started on their careers will have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own guidelines and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is administered by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Even though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of them and include the following.
Any person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider approving an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the criminal offense may be assessed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that is going to contain quite a few forms to submit. You should not buy these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many trustworthy internet sites. It is recommended to take a very detailed look through the forms before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to include a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a range of patients that have needs which are often completely different than from the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient clinic with kids who have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab center working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and implementing and employing the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be relatively physically fit, since there will be plenty of instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Taylor, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Taylor, TX reviewed by Taylor ROBERTSON on June 2.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.