Once you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Tehachapi, CA, you will quickly realize that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this particular industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 yearly which makes it one of the highest paying health care vocations that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Tehachapi, CA
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and pick a training program, make sure you evaluate all of your options and make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that fits all your preferences.
Items You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be confident that you are going to learn about the full array of competencies necessary to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of health concerns and disorders therefore it is essential that your training is very extensive rather then too focused on one particular area of specialization.
Another significant feature you should think about is the clinical learning experience. This is your practical training, it is when you actually interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools allocate considerably more time on your actual practical experience in comparison with others. In instances where your school is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical training, make sure to find out why.
Something else to also consider is the class sizes. The size of will vary significantly from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Nevertheless, for many of us online training can alleviate some of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family are often times driven aside while students undertake their schooling and online classes can provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last issue you should look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are considering. Be sure to find out how many trainees finish the program, what their evaluations were, and just how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Tehachapi, CA
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about 2 years, with the first year consisting of mainly classroom teaching and with the second year spent doing hands on instruction in a medical center or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers need to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own rules and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is controlled by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and include the following.
An individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be examined and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that is going to contain many forms to fill out. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many legitimate web sites. It is recommended to take a very thorough look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will require you to complete a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients who may have needs which are often totally different than from the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient clinic with children who may have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be relatively physically fit, since you will have several instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Tehachapi, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Tehachapi, CA reviewed by Zachary PETERSON on June 11.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.