After you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Texarkana, AR, you should quickly learn that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this particular industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is greater than $53,000 per year making it amongst the best paying healthcare jobs that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Texarkana, AR
The first step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are currently approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and select a school, you might want to think about all of your alternatives and make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that matches all your needs.
Things You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be confident you will be taught the full variety of skills necessary to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of conditions and disorders so it is really important that your course work is very extensive instead of too concentrated on a particular area of specialization.
Another important factor you should look at is the clinical teaching experience. This is your practical training, and this is when you are able to interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools dedicate considerably more time on your actual practical experience in comparison to others. In cases where your training program is not spending large amounts of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you ask why.
Something else to also consider is the class size. The size of your class can vary significantly from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Yet, for some online courses can relieve many of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and loved ones tend to be driven aside as students undertake their education and learning and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last detail you need to have a look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are considering. Make certain you find out how many trainees complete the program, what their observations were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Texarkana, AR
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- B.S. in Behavioral Health Science - Trauma
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is about two years, with the first year being mainly class-room instruction and with the second year spent doing hands on instruction in a medical facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers will need to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own guidelines and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Arkansas, licensing is administrated by the Arkansas State Occupational Therapy Examining Committee. While every State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among the majority of them and can include the following.
A person applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider processing an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the transgression may be examined and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that is going to include quite a few forms to fill out. Do not purchase these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many legitimate web sites. It is recommended to take a very detailed look through the forms before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will need you to include a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients which have needs which may be totally different in comparison to the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient clinic with kids that have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age woman with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and learning and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be reasonably physically fit, since there will be several instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Texarkana, AR that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Texarkana, AR reviewed by Kerry BAILEY on June 2.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.