After you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Texarkana, AR, you should quickly learn that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this particular industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is greater than $53,000 per year making it amongst the best paying healthcare jobs that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Texarkana, AR
The first step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are currently approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and select a school, you might want to think about all of your alternatives and make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that matches all your needs.
Things You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be confident you will be taught the full variety of skills necessary to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of conditions and disorders so it is really important that your course work is very extensive instead of too concentrated on a particular area of specialization.
Another important factor you should look at is the clinical teaching experience. This is your practical training, and this is when you are able to interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools dedicate considerably more time on your actual practical experience in comparison to others. In cases where your training program is not spending large amounts of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you ask why.
Something else to also consider is the class size. The size of your class can vary significantly from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Yet, for some online courses can relieve many of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and loved ones tend to be driven aside as students undertake their education and learning and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last detail you need to have a look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are considering. Make certain you find out how many trainees complete the program, what their observations were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Texarkana, AR
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- B.S. in Behavioral Health Science - Trauma
- Kaplan University Online Degree Programs
- Attend college on your terms. Kaplan University offers fully online degree programs that fit any schedule.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
Arkansas College of Barbering and Hair Design (ACB) was incorporated under the laws of the state of Arkansas in May 1974. The school was previously located at 401 Main Street in North Little Rock, AR. In1984, the school was relocated to its current location at 200 East Washington Ave and has been incontinuous operation since that time. ACB opened with seven (7) students and sixteen (16) chairs andcurrently have forty-two (42) multi-purpose chairs and an average of sixty-five (65) students. Our purpose is to provide quality training in barbering and hairstyling to the residents of this and other states.
Blue Cliff College was founded in New Orleans, Louisiana in 1987 with the goal of becoming one of the most respected Massage Therapy training centers in the nation. In June of 1989, the College in Louisiana received its Proprietary School License from the state. In 1998, the Continuing Education College was proud to receive accreditation from the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC). The Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC) is a recognized accrediting agency by the US Department of Education.
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is about two years, with the first year being mainly class-room instruction and with the second year spent doing hands on instruction in a medical facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers will need to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own guidelines and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Arkansas, licensing is administrated by the Arkansas State Occupational Therapy Examining Committee. While every State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among the majority of them and can include the following.
A person applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider processing an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the transgression may be examined and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that is going to include quite a few forms to fill out. Do not purchase these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many legitimate web sites. It is recommended to take a very detailed look through the forms before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will need you to include a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients which have needs which may be totally different in comparison to the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient clinic with kids that have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age woman with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and learning and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be reasonably physically fit, since there will be several instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Texarkana, AR that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Texarkana, AR reviewed by Kerry BAILEY on June 2.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.