Once you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Tifton, GA, you will soon realize that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs within this field to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is greater than $53,000 per year making it one of the best paying medical-related professions that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Tifton, GA
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy School. There are presently almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and select a training program, make sure that you examine all of your alternatives to make sure you find an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your needs.
Items You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be certain you will be taught the full variety of skills necessary to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of issues and disorders therefore it is essential that your course work is very extensive rather then too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another really important feature you should consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is the practical training, and this is where you will interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools dedicate substantially more time on your actual laboratory training as compared to other schools. In instances where your school is not investing a large amount of time with clinical training, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to look into is the class size. The size of your class may vary considerably from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with the instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for many of us online training courses can alleviate a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and household can be driven aside as students pursue their training and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final factor you ought to look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are considering. Make sure that you find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their evaluations were, and how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Tifton, GA
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Psychology Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
The Salon & Spa industry offers you the personal freedom and financial rewards you deserve! You could not have chosen a better time to follow your passion. Health and Style Institute will help you develop the skills you need to be successful in this magnificent industry. Our up to the minute, interactive training will help you reach beyond your limits.
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is about 24 months, with the first year being primarily classroom training and with the second year spent carrying out hands on learning in a hospital facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will want to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers will have to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Georgia, licensing is administrated by the Georgia State Board of Occupational Therapy. Although each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among many of them and can include the following.
A person applying for an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider processing an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the offense may be examined and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package which will contain quite a few forms to fill out. Never purchase these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many reputable sites. It is advised to take a very thorough look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will require you to complete a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients who may have needs that could be very different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient clinic with small children that have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and learning and using the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be relatively physically fit, because there will be plenty of instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Tifton, GA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Tifton, GA reviewed by Khloe FERGUSON on June 17.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.