Once you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Tifton, GA, you will soon realize that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs within this field to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is greater than $53,000 per year making it one of the best paying medical-related professions that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Tifton, GA
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy School. There are presently almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and select a training program, make sure that you examine all of your alternatives to make sure you find an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your needs.
Items You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be certain you will be taught the full variety of skills necessary to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of issues and disorders therefore it is essential that your course work is very extensive rather then too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another really important feature you should consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is the practical training, and this is where you will interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools dedicate substantially more time on your actual laboratory training as compared to other schools. In instances where your school is not investing a large amount of time with clinical training, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to look into is the class size. The size of your class may vary considerably from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with the instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for many of us online training courses can alleviate a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and household can be driven aside as students pursue their training and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final factor you ought to look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are considering. Make sure that you find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their evaluations were, and how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Tifton, GA
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is about 24 months, with the first year being primarily classroom training and with the second year spent carrying out hands on learning in a hospital facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will want to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers will have to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Georgia, licensing is administrated by the Georgia State Board of Occupational Therapy. Although each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among many of them and can include the following.
A person applying for an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider processing an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the offense may be examined and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package which will contain quite a few forms to fill out. Never purchase these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many reputable sites. It is advised to take a very thorough look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will require you to complete a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients who may have needs that could be very different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient clinic with small children that have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and learning and using the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be relatively physically fit, because there will be plenty of instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Tifton, GA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Tifton, GA reviewed by Khloe FERGUSON on June 17.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.