After you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Town and Country, MO, you will soon see that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this particular field to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 annually which makes it right there with the highest paying medical-related careers that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Town and Country, MO
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to select a school, it is very important to think about all of your alternatives to make certain you find an Occupational Therapy school that suits all your needs.
Details You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be assured you will learn about the full range of techniques required to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of health conditions and disorders so it is imperative that your course work is very diverse instead of too concentrated on one particular discipline.
Another important feature to take under consideration is the clinical learning experience. This is the hands-on training, it is where you are able to interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools apply significantly more time on your actual laboratory experience in comparison with others. In instances where your school is not spending large amounts of time with clinical teaching, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to consider is the class sizes. The size of the classes may vary significantly from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time that you receive with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Yet, for many people online classes can alleviate a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household are often times driven aside while students continue their schooling and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last detail you might want to consider before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Make sure that you find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their assessments were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Town and Country, MO
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly two years, with the first year being predominantly classroom teaching and with the second year spent working on hands on learning in a healthcare facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to get started with their careers have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own policies and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Missouri, licensing is handled by the Missouri State Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among many of them and can include the following.
An individual trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider approving an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the criminal offense may be assessed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that will include quite a few forms to submit. You should not purchase these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many legitimate internet sites. It is recommended to take a very thorough look through the paper work before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients who have needs which are often very different in comparison to the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient clinic with toddlers that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab center working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be reasonably physically fit, because you will encounter plenty of instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Town and Country, MO that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Town and Country, MO reviewed by Anna MORALES on June 2.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.