After you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Trenton, MI, you will probably soon see that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this field to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 yearly making it one of the best paying healthcare jobs that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Trenton, MI
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to pick a school, you might want to think about all of your alternatives to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school that suits all your requirements.
Items You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be confident that you are going to learn about the full range of techniques necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of ailments and disorders so it is essential that your training is very wide-ranging and not too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another really important component you should consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is your practical training, and this is when you actually interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools apply substantially more time on your actual laboratory training compared to others. In instances where your training program is not spending a large amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure that you find out why.
Another thing to also consider is the class size. The size of your class can vary significantly from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time you will get with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. However, for some people online courses can ease some of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family are sometimes pushed aside while students pursue their education and online classes can offer a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final thing you ought to look into before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are looking at. Make sure that you find out how many people complete the program, what their assessments were, and just how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Trenton, MI
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year being primarily class-room training and with the second year spent working on hands on learning in a hospital or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those ready to begin their careers have to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own policies and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Michigan, licensing is handled by the Michigan Board of Occupational Therapy. Although each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among many of them and include the following.
An individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and passed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider processing an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the offense may be examined and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that is going to include numerous forms to submit. Never pay for these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many legitimate sites. It is important to take a very detailed look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will need you to turn in a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients who may have needs which may be totally different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient facility with children who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, since you will encounter many instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Trenton, MI that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Trenton, MI reviewed by Eli TURNER on June 13.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an OTA.